Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Today's post is brought to you by the letter...

U!

A little explanation... My friend Simon, over at Stuck in a Book (and also a contributor at Shiny New Books, which you should all check out), posed this little idea.  Basically, people were to come up with their favourite book, author, song, movie, and object beginning with a letter assigned by Simon via a random generator.  I got the letter U and, while it proved a bit challenging, it was a bit fun. 

Favourite book...  Unbroken

I just finished this book, so that may bias me, but it was truly incredible.  Even one story from Louis Zamperini's life is unbelievable - but the fact that all of those stories happened to one man???  I cannot even fathom...

Read the book because the movie's coming out.
Read the book because Louis Zamperini just passed away.
Read the book because it is positively remarkable.
Read the book because all of the above!

Favourite author... Unknown

I haven't read Updike or Umberto Eco or anyone who's first or last name began with "U."  But... sorting through my goodreads, there was one anonymous but particular "Unknown Author" that wins my favourite:  the Unknown Author of Beowulf.  Though the Anglo-Saxon epic undoubtedly evolved orally, one person penned down the beautiful lyrics of the hero's tale in Old English.  And I am in that person's great debt.


Favourite song...  "Ulysses" by Josh Garrels

 

As the title suggests, this is a song about Ulysses's (or Odysseus if, like me, you prefer the Greek) journey home after the Trojan War.  Full of both the literary allusions and Garrels own journeys, the song is, for me, the perfect blend of melancholy and hope.  Some of my favorite lines are:
Trouble has beset my ways, and wicked winds have blown
Sirens call my name, they say they’ll ease my pain, then break me on the stones
But true love is the burden that will carry me back home
Carry me with the, memories of the, beauty I have known 
Favourite film...  Up

How could it be anything else, really?  This is such a beautiful tale of love and friendship and the truth that the adventure never really ends.  On that topic, nerd-alert: Karen Hallion is putting the finishing touches on her Doctor Who / Up piece, "Come Along, Carl."  Also, I'm excited to say that I'll be going the Seattle Symphony's "Pixar in Concert" this weekend and am most looking forward to "Married Life":

 


Favourite object...  Umbrella

I have one of those clear, dome umbrellas and I rather love it.  Yes, I am one of those umbrella-users that Seattlites call "wimps."  Well, being a bus commuter, the umbrella is quite helpful.  And fun.

[via]
So there you have it for the letter "U."  If you would like to share some of your favorite "U" inspired things or would like a letter of your own, let me know in the comments. 

1 comment:

  1. Well done for doing it with a tricky letter! I haven't heard of Unbroken, but now I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete